The 73-acre site at St Brendan’s Hospital at Grangegorman has been designated as the site for the unified Campus for the Dublin institute of Technology, the permanent home for Dublin 7 Educate Together Primary School and a range of new mental health and community and continuing care facilities.
As the Dublin City Council representative on the Agency I am anxious to ensure that all residents in the Grangegorman neighbourhood are fully informed and consulted at all stages of the development.
Recent developments include:
- The Grangegorman Development Agency is awaiting a Government decision to put the Strategic Plan out to public consultation. It had been hoped that the consultation would take place in the first half of 2009. The GDA now say that it is likely that the Strategic Plan will go out to public consultation in June/July 2009. I have stated my opposition to carrying out the consultation during August which is a holiday month.
- The GDA has commissioned a report on the employment opportunities for the area arising from the developments at Grangegorman. The study carried out in conjunction with number of stakeholders, including the Dublin Instiitute of Technology(DIT), Health Services Executive(HSE), City of Dublin Vocational Education Committee(CDVEC), FAS and the North West Inner City Network, identifies significant employment, education and training opportunities for people in the North Inner City. A copy of the report is available from the Grangegorman Development Agency or can be downloaded from their website www.ggda.ie
- The GDA intend to submit a planning application in May for replacement mental health facilities to accommodate the existing patients.
- Planning permission has been granted for the renovation of the Laundry Building to accommodate medical consulting and administration services.
- Planning permission has been granted for a temporary D7 Educate Together School at Grangegorman Lower/Fitzwilliam Place. The school should be open at this location in September.
- Registration for residents’ associations and groups in the Grangegorman neighbourhood will take place in June/July. Registered groups will have a vote in the Elections for the Community Representatives on the Board and the Consultative Group which are due to take place in September. For further information on the registration procedure and voting entitlements check the Grangegorman Development Agency website www.ggda.ie